Formed in 1933 12th Barnsley Monk Bretton Air Scout Group has provided scouting to the young people of Monk Bretton for 89 years although a group did exist previously under a different number designation (39th). the group has been very active in the community in many different ways.
The group has met in a variety of locations first meeting in the church school – now Redferns club in Burton Road. it then moved to St Paul’s Church Hall before using the cramped space of the park keeper’s cottage. then it was a wartime warden’s post in High Street before meeting around a snooker table in the miners hall (now gone). The first permanent scout centre was built in Rotherham Road at our current location followed by the present one after an arson attack on the original in the early 90’s During the rebuild the group returned to the church hall – now the PlayDays Nursery on Burton Road, returning to their rebuilt scout centre in 1993. the group has seen many of its members go on to various roles in their professional lives and community including sports, emergency, public and voluntary services.
Written by Don Booker MBE